9.01.2011

my 2012 reading challenge

After I’ve finished the books I’ve set out to read this year, these are books left on Shmoop’s best seller’s list that I will have not yet read:
 
Ender’s Game by Orson Scott Card
Freedom by Jonathan Franzen
The Hobbi by JRR Tolkien
Kite Runner by Khaled Hosseini
Life of Pi by Yann Martel
The Lightning Theif by Rick Riordan
Little Bee by Chris Cleave
The Lovely bones by Alice Sebold
The Road by Cormac McCarthy
The Shining by Stephen King
The Time Traveler’s Wife by Audrey Niffenegger
Wicked by Gregory Maguire
A Wizard of Earthsea by Ursula K Le Guin

But I think most of them will have to wait for 2013.

Since I’ve proven I can be a rather prolific reader, I decided to up things a notch.  I’ve picked 12 authors of classics (modern and otherwise).  Each month, I will pick an author from my list, and read one of his/her works.  I hope this challenge will expose me to greater literature and expand my horizons beyond best sellers, chick lit and fantasy.  My 12 authors are:

Jane Austen
Charlotte Bronte
Lewis Carroll
Charles Dickens
Alexandre Dumas
William Faulkner
Gabriel Garcia Marquez
Ernest Hemingway
Jack Kerouac
Jack London
Ayn Rand
Mark Twain

If this is not sufficient to keep me busy, I’ve made an addendum list to explore:
F. Scott Fitzgerald
Aldous Huxley
Joseph Steinbeck
Harper Lee
James Joyce
 
Beyond all the reading I have listed, I still have a significant list of books waiting to be fulfilled from my library list.  This should make for an interesting 18 months of reading.