9.24.2011

I always struggle when people ask me what kind of books I like to read.  Good ones? I think to myself.  Are there any other kind?

So I found it interesting when I logged into goodreads today and noticed that, without any input from me, they had found actually several categories of books I like.  Whodda thunk?  They include: biography, chick lit, contemporary, crime and memoir.  Ok so, I could have told you about memoirs and chick lit.  I can't count the number of books I've read that are "a day in the life of . . ."   So many infact, that I've figured I must have one I could come up with.  A day in the life of a call center rep?  A barista?  truffle-entrepreneur?  Hmm. 

The one that really stuck out to me was crime.  My mother has always loved mysteries.  So naturally, I avoided them like the plague.  I think it was because she always tried to figure it out whodunnit before it was revealed, whereas I just followed along the story.  This discrepancy made me think I was somehow doing it wrong, and shunned them all, including Nancy Drew.  But as it turns out, I've read a few in recent years.  What with the Dragon Tattoo series, and the Spellmans, I apparently have a whole new appreciation.