3.09.2011

Beginner's luck

I love pita bread.  And I like to think I a bit of a culinary wiz.  But there’s something about pita dough that seems to flummox me.  I’ve been using the recipe out of Julia Child’s baking book, and the first time I made it, it was wonderful.  Though lacking the tell-tale pocket.  Each subsequent time, it got worse and worse, even having raw spots in the middle of the pita.  Having recently bought some hummus, and the fact that I go through massive amounts of pita, I decided to make some last night.  And I think it was my worst batch yet.  The Pita feel heave and dense, and although I haven’t cracked them open yet, I’m quite sure they are raw inside.  Bleh.


So I’ve been doing some research online, and I think my issues stem from too high a temperature and not rolling out the dough sufficiently.  I never bothered to roll it out because it would just spring back.  Turns out, I have to let it relax a bit, and then try again.  Hopefully it will work this time.

No comments: