2.05.2011

Books read so far in 2011: 6

So I just finished reading One Day by David Nicholls.  Not only was the narrative created in an unusual way, with each chapter taking place exactly a year after the last.  Every year on July 15, starting in 1988 when Emma and Dex spend a night together after graduation, we get a snapshot of their lives, where they're at with each other, and thier own lives.  How things have changed, and how they've stayed the same.  For the majority of the book, we're made to believe we know all about "that first night", but toward the end, it flashes back to more storyline from that first day that puts an entirely different perspective on things.  Moving, unusual, and haunting are what come to mind.  I highly recommend it.

next up: A whole ton of books.  I have about 12 out from the library now (plus cds) because the suspensions I'd placed over the holidays expired and I forgot to re-suspend them.  Guess I'm going to be busy.

Currently:  Hedge Fund Wives by Tatiana Boncampagni -- so far I'm not enjoying the voice of the book as well as in Guilding Lily, but it promises to be entertaining, if not deep and introspective.

Also: Keep the Change, The Cookbook Collector, Lit, The Help, Not Buying it, The Girl Who Played Go, The Invisible Circus plus a whole bunch of cookbooks.  Stay Tuned!

No comments: