2.24.2011

gratitude redux

I’ve been reading Mary Karr’s Lit the last week or so.  And what’s struck me the most is that despite her reticence to believe in a higher power, once she started praying about her sobriety, things started to come together.  And the largest bulk of her prayer was gratitude.  Despite my 7pm nightly alarm reminding myself, “what are you grateful for today?,” I have fallen off the wagon, just as my protagonist has climbed on.


But today, like most days, I have lots to be grateful for.  But today, it’s crystal clear.


Today, my contract at Rust was extended til March 18, more than 3 additional weeks.


Today, after my hellish President’s day, I got word that my engine repair is covered under warranty, and that it will be fixed with no cost to me.


I can’t tell you how blessed I feel right now, to get both of these pieces of information during the same 15 minute break.  And they trigger a whole new list of things I am grateful for: I am grateful for my dad and his stalwartness, I’m grateful for Sean’s job because it means I can quit my paper route (finally).  I am grateful for clear sunny days.  I am grateful that even when I am not actively praying, when I am not looking on the proverbial sunny side, someone else is.


Today is truly a breakthrough day.  And for that, I am grateful.

No comments: