4.28.2012

whew!

I’ve gotten up and ran every morning before work this week.  This means, my shoes have willingly hit the floor before 6:15 for 5 days straight.  And not always (or even usually) because I got to bed early the night before.

After wondering just exactly how many miles I had put on my shoes, I realized that the “pfft” sound coming from my right shoe was because the sole had separated from the upper.  Incidentally, I also had a blister there, probably from all the extra friction.

For the first time, when I look at my workout for the next day, and the day after that, and the day after that, I’m not afraid.  I used to look at it and think, How will I do that?  I’ve never ran that far/fast before?  But every day, I would go out and give it my best shot, and more often than not, I would complete it just as it was written.  Now, not only do I know that the workout is simply about putting one foot in front of the other, but the workouts for the most part have plateaued in length.  If I’ve completed 30 minutes before, I can do it again in any iteration.

I have almost as many blisters as I have toes.  But I consider them hard won battle scars, not symbols of defeat.  They will heal, and they will make me stronger.  And for that, I am grateful.

p.s. Taking Sunday off after running about 9 days straight.  Instead, I’m going to test out my bike route to the job I start in a scant 3 weeks!