4.20.2012

Communion

I had the most amazing evening.

After developing nasty shin splints 8 WEEKS into my training schedule, I decided to take a day or two off the pavement.  But, I started running in my dreams, so I knew it was time to get back out there.

Also, since the Nice Ride bikes are out, I thought it would be cool to see just how far I could get in my allotted time.  No worries about making a circuit, I'll just bike back from wherever I land.

My workout was a 5 minute jog, 10 minute easy run, 5 minute jog, 1 minute walk, 5 minute medium pace run.  I got all the way down Portland, across the Stone Arch bridge, and down Main Street past the Nice Ride station.  I am very impressed with this.  And I also felt really good, even after I biked home again.  The weather was cool, and not very windy, so view of Downtown Minneapolis across the still river was breathtaking.  I wished I'd brought my camera.

People always talk about how they like running because it clears their mind, it gives them energy, their day just doesn't feel complete without it.  I thought they were crazy.  I wasn't alone.  But, I think I"m starting to get it.  This isn't just about losing a few pounds.  This is like a spiritual communion.

I loved my run today.  And I can't wait to get up and do it again tomorrow.

p.s.  If you're wondering how I got from "That looks painful and not fun" to "I love this, can't live without it and can't wait to do it again," it had a lot to do with starting slow and easy.  I credit that all to a e-book I read  called The Ultimate Beginner's Running Guide.  It's a super quick read, gives you a enough info to get going, but not so much as to overwhelm you.  Also, it includes three running plans: one for current exercisers, one for new runners and one for weight-loss.  I chose to follow the weight-loss one.  Why?  Because the first work out was a five minute walk.  I figured if I can walk for five minutes, I can do the program.  And that's what I've done.