7.23.2011

knitting and other news:

I loved my first spiral scarf that I'm making another one just like it, if only to use of the rest of the yarn.  P.s.  1 hank =$10=3 projects=hours and hours and hours of knitting= lots and lots of cheap entertainment.  bonus?  My mom has the same yarn left over from a project in two additional colors.  Someone is going to spending a lot of time on upcoming Christmas gifts!

In other knitting news, I'm so unhappy with my Chain mail scarf.  It's lumpy and hard to see, and I although I generally like crocheting, I don't appear to like tunisian crochet.  So I'm going to frog it (that's knitter's speak for rip it and start over)(Hey!  Look at me using knitter's speak!) and make a scarf made up of different rip patterns.  There was one in the library book I just returned.  There's a wrap in there that I wanted to make as well, but I think that I'll just use the general idea of it (the shape and texture) and try and knit it instead.

In reading news, I finised Loving Frank.  It was excellent, and moving, and wonderful.  Seeing as that I'm probably the only 12 year old in the world who CHOSE to do a huge project on Frank Lloyd Wright, and have actually been to Taliesin, I found it that much more interesting.  Wright was clearly a brilliant man, but he was not without his faults.

Right now I'm reading Candace Bushnell's One Fifth Avenue.  There are so many characters, I actually had to go back and make myself a cheat sheet after getting 100 pages.  But now I'm doing much better with it.  It's fun and silly and the perfect summer read.  Plus, I find her to be an astute observationalist, which makes her less frothy than I expect from Chic Lit.

And on a final note, we are deep into the Bed Bug War.  Everything except our bedding was removed from our bedroom and put in plastic bags.  Everything that was fabric in the whole apt was bagged, along with any "clutter" (yeah, good thing we don't have any of THAT lying around).  So as you might suspect, our apartment is basically empty.  Becuase all the fabric items are supposed to be put in the dryer for 20 mins, we decided we'd head to a laundromat.  We could only fit the laundry and half of the fabric items in the car, so we have clean laundry and half of the items debugged.  We still have to vacuum the whole place, but other than that, we did pretty well for one day.  I'll tell you one thing, it will make me a lot more cautious about what we bring into the house, and how we handle it.

The most surprising thing?  Spending your whole Saturday cleaning isn't so bad when you get to do it with your loving husband.