7.05.2011

Condolence letters and children becoming the parent role

I did two things this weekend that felt very adult.  This is a feeling that's awfully fleeting for me.  Considering I'm in my late 20's and married, it seems like I oscilate between feeling like an old, married lady and an ingenue.

1) Condolence letters
A friend (of a friend) of mine lost her mother last month.  And although she and I aren't super close, we exchange greetings via Facebook and have each other programmed into our cellphones.  I never knew her mother, and I don't attend funerals if I can help it (long story).  But I do write letters.  I write Christmas cards, mother's day cards, birthday cards and condolence cards.  Possibly the hardest things to write, and yet the most appreciated.  I'll admit; I don't have all the answers.  I often have to peruse some letter-writting books on how to write such a letter.  But I believe they are important.  I believe they reinforce our own thoughts on life, love and family.  I believe they remind us that each day is precious.  I believe they show the recipient that you care enough to put pen to paper, track down an address, and put it in a mail box.  I got a call a few days later from my friend.  She was so moved that I had written her.  I expected she had received lots of these kinds of letters, but I was wrong.  I think reaching out to people, however you can, is vital.  But I think there are specific occasions that require a letter.  And I think condolences top the list.

2) Role reversal
Last week, I visited some family out of state.  As I worked on a project in the kitchen, my Aunt sent my 15 year old cousin so I could "show him the ropes".
"I"m a baby, after all." he said sarcastically.
"You always will be" I smiled back.
Being an only child, as we both are, you are always the baby, the child, the young one.  So it's rare when I find that the shoe is on the other foot, and know I'm the one directing my parents, especially my mother.  But with the events of the last year, it's an experience I've been getting to know quite well.  And yet, it's always a bit unsettling.  It surely doesn't reassure me that I'm ready for parenthood.  I actually quite enjoy feeling like I'm still 22; adult enough for everything to be within reach and yet, young enough for me to not be completely responsible.  Here's hoping I still have a few of those years left.