6.13.2009

calm

So, apparently the furstration that was bubbling under the surface the last couple of weeks came to an underwhelming conclusion. It just seems to be that time of year with lots of family obligations, and me being the supportive type, had overcommitted myself and was bogged down by the things I had going on in my life as well as others. But with a booksigning, two birthdays and a graduation down, things are a lot more quiet, which has given me a chance to take a very deep breath, and cross a ton of things off that ol' proverbial list.

As a result, not a whole lot to report.

I will mention however that I was really pleased with an event that occured today. DH and I traveled across state lines to our nephew's first birthday party today. Long story short, the man my husband used to call Dad came to the party later on. My husband hasn't spoken to him since he left my mother-in-law and my husband is very very loyal to his mom (as he should be). However, circumstances have changed over the past few years, and this man (I'll call him E), has expressed interest in renewing his relationship with DH. DH was adamant that he wanted nothing to do with E; he wasn't even invited to our wedding. DH was even planning on leaving our nephew's party before E arrived so that he didn't have to see him. But E ended up comming early, and greeted DH. He asked him how DH is doing and gave him a hug. And much to my surprise, DH accepted it. Because afterall, this is the man that he considers his dad. They exchanged pleasantries, then E told DH that he had something for him before we left. DH goes out to E's truck and finds a HUGE plastic bin full of all of DH's baseball cards from when he was younger. DH was so touched he didn't even know how to speak. I thanked E, and we hoisted them into the back of our car, while DH drove us home in stunned silence.

"You ok?"

"Yeah .. yes, I'm ok. Should I be ok? Is this ok?"

"Well, I don't know the whole story of what happened between E and your mom, and I probably never will. But I'm a firm believer that if someone wants to make ammends that you should give them the opportunity. You don't have to be best friends, but I would think that it would be awful if E was never given the opportunity. I also think it would be good for you to let go of the burden of shutting him out of your life. Just be thankful and gracious, and see where it goes."

"Yeah, I suppose."

"I love you"

"I love you too"

And with that, we headed home.

No comments: