11.28.2016

Post election - New normals

I knew that this would be a year full of firsts, but I didn't know they would extend beyond my family.

It seems like every other day, I get emails from my college's president relating to safety and freedom of speech, and balancing the two.  I have actively attended this school for two semesters before this elections.  These were not normal.

People have posted on facebook about how to prepare for marching/protesting.  Wear masks so that you can't be doxxed.  Have bail money secured.  Have a meet up plan if/when you get separated.  I've been on Facebook for ten years.  These posts, at least in my circle, are not normal.

There were fortified barriers at the properties of both presidential nominees following the election.  There have been countless marches and protests across the country protesting the elected.  This is not normal.  I don't ever recall there being protests just following the election.  Have there ever been? This is not normal.

People woke up frightened for their bodily safety, myself included.  Frightened because of specific statements the Elected made against large swaths of our population.  This is not normal.

It's been almost a month, and there is currently a recount taking place, instigated by a fringe, Green-party candidate.  This is not normal.

This is not normal.