11.24.2011

Giving Thanks

My church always holds a Thanksgiving service, one where attendees are encouraged to share a testimony or give thanks.  I rarely, if ever, do, mostly because it takes until the end of the time allotted for me to figure out what to say.  So, instead, I will say it here.

1.5 years ago, I was spending my last day at a job I loved.  My husband had lost his job just two months prior.  My mind was spining.  What would I do?  How would we pay the bills?  I was a wreck.  I was obsessing, not surprisingly.  In in the midst of the swirling void, I heard a still, small voice.

Haven't I always taken care of you?

I stopped myself short.  This completely foreign thought was true.  We had always been taken care of.  We had been able to find a car when we needed a new one.  Our bills had been paid when we had only one income previously.  And even though we were told my husband wouldn't not be receiving unemployment, he did.  All of our needs were always met.

And they continue to be.  I had enough money to get me to my next job.  I've had steady work for the last year, paying all my bills and breathing deep.  S found a job and we haven't started, or gone bankrupt or had to move in with my parents, all things we feared may happen.

And it was in church today, that I was comforted even more so.  This statement is not just a fact; it's a promise.  And it's not just a promise for me, but for everyone.  Christian, Jewish, Muslim, Atheist, Wiccan, what-have-you.  Not only have we always been taken care of, we will be taken care of, always, all ways.

I found immense comfort in this, not just for myself, but for everyone in the church, everyone I know, everyone on this earth.  

And for that, I am grateful.