10.17.2011

Is there really anyone who isn't *aware* of breast cancer?

I need to call my friend to make plans.  I haven't seen him to catch up in about a year.  But I'm avoiding him.  The coffee chain he works for is in full swing with their For a Cure Marketing and I, for one, can't stand it.

Now I know I'm a bit unorthodox; I don't donate to medical charities or causes.  Something that I will probably never get into here, and if you know me, you know why and that's all I'll say.  But it's a choice I live my life by.  I do however agree that breast cancer, autism, domestic violence and hat hair all need to be addressed.  I don't, however, like being guilted into a purchase because of the color, or being pressure to buy a duplicate of something I already own simply because it supports a cause I should care about.

Here's a great example:  I went into a large chain coffee shop (feel free to free-associate), and noticed they were marketing their water as a way to raise funds for water in under-developed countries.  The water cost $2.  How much of that was going to this noble cause? 5 cents.  2.5% of the purchase price.

Now, if water in said under-developed countries is really so important, wouldn't it make more sense to buy a case of water from your favorite discount-chain for approximately 50% less per bottle, and send the difference to the same exact charity?  Or what about giving up bottled water all together, carrying a reusable bottle from home, and sending the money you would have spent to this worthy charity?

I want to buy a product because it's what I need, it's the right price and it's of good quality.  I don't want to bring other factors in, especially ones meant to play to our heart-strings.  I'm not naive enough to believe that we always make the most logical consumer purchases.  But I think this is not only playing dirty and confusing the issue, it's just plain annoying.

I hope my friend will still be glad to see me in November.