10.21.2016

C'est la tuile!

Mon oncle and I have been independently studying french.  He does amazing things like read novels in French.  I just spend a lot of time on DuoLingo, and try to keep my french straight from my german and Spanish (and potentially Hebrew and Vietnamese?)  However, I have a leg up on him because he only had a semester or two of French in college.  Whereas I started taking french in the 5th grade, and I continued all the way through my first year of college (where I maxed out the program at my little community college).  As a result, he occasionally sends me texts in French or asking about words.  Here's an exchange I found particularly fun:


Today, mon oncle texted me for help deciphering "C'etait la tuile!" in the context of someone being ambused and feeling demoralized.  (I think he's reading a Bond-esqe spy novel).  Based on this link, I thought maybe he meant "It sucked".  But he seemed to think it meant the roof was caving in on him.  Hmm, Qui sait?