6.12.2012

goals and such

I'm completing my last week of my 16 week long.  I'm proud of the success I've made, but I still admit I'm damned slow.  So since I skipped my run this morning, I decided to make it up at sunset tonight.  It was cool day, an even cooler night and lots of light late in the day.  I realized that if I can run for (almost) 60 minutes straight, there's no reason why I have to take my 30 minute run so easily.

Last week, I ran for 30 minutes at about a 15 min/mile pace.  So I decided to really kick it into gear tonight, and ended with a pace of about 13:25, shaving more than 1.5 minutes off my mile pace over the course of 2.25 miles.  I'm immensely proud of this success.

I also must admit that I have a secret goal.  I've only told DH.  He and a mutual friend of ours ran in a 5k together.  DH hadn't had a chance to train, so had a less than stellar result.  But our friend had worked really hard to train and finished the 5k in just shy of 30 minutes.

When I run my first 5k, I want to beat his time.

I still have a lot of work to do, but I think it's possible, maybe even by the end of the summer.  I'm not going to push it.  But I do want to accomplish it.  And I want to incorporate more biking.  One book on running I read said that cross training like that can actually help improve times more than just running more.  So that's what I am going to do.

Wish me luck!